March 2011 Newsletter
by Rev. Vernon Giesbrecht
Dear friend of Double Harvest,
Did you ever try to drink from a fire hose? You can’t take it all in! That picture is somewhat like the blessing of God which Double Harvest has experienced in the last months. However, instead of a “fire hose”, here are a few “glasses of water” to refresh your soul.
- Chloe’s Kitchen-Cafeteria is up and running in the renovated former storage barn. Funded by Tom Van Wingerden’s Memorial Fund, the well appointed kitchen and ceramic-tiled cafeteria now prepares 1000 meals every day to our employees, teachers and students.
- The addition to the Medical-Surgical Clinic is progressing. Additional consultation rooms, Eye Care exam rooms, an X-ray room, a larger Lab and storage areas will further enhance the medical care the Haitian people now receive. Surgery teams continue to visit, often conducting in a one week period 80 – 100 procedures, correcting long-standing health problems.
- The Rebuilding Project in the surrounding villages continues. Almost 100 families have received a new, well-constructed home. We are well on our way to our 220 goal. In the process, masons and workers are employed and trained to improve their skills.
- Additional tanks are being poured to double the size of the Tilapia Fish Project, including hatchery tanks; and a Sales Center is being constructed at the main highway. Together with the farm and reforestation project, this Business as Mission model is helping provide for the economic, physical and spiritual needs of the Haitian people.
- There is also great interest in spiritual issues. The church meeting on our property has doubled in size. A “mini Bible school” now meets in our school offering classes in Bible and theology. People have responded to outreaches to the community.
- Finally, drinkable water from our wells continues to be pumped to five villages – 420,000gal/week – almost 22 million gal/year! Now that’s what I’d call a “fire hose of blessing”! Thank you for drinking this all in with us. You also help make it possible.
One more thing: Please pray for a safe and fair Presidential run-off election on March 20th. Haiti needs strong but moral leadership.
N. A. Coordinator